The Samford Bowling Club was formed in 1948 following a meeting organised by Walter James (Jim) Smith.
A block of land on the banks of the South Pine River was acquired at a cost of 75 Pounds. The first trustees were Jim Smith, Jim Morrison and Bert Gibbons.
Volunteers built a small club house with timber from trees felled on the Smith Bros. property and milled by Winn Brothers, Sawmillers. Debentures were purchased by a number of members to finance this new club; these were later redeemed when the club became financial.
The first president of the club was Jim Morrison and the first secretary was Harry Hine.
The first green was constructed by volunteers, under the supervision of Paul Maggs, a noted bowler. This green was named the Jim Smith Green.
The Ladies Club was formed in 1949, the first president being
M. Morrison and the first secretary was Mrs 'Dolly' McDonald. A copy of the minutes of the first meeting is on the wall outside the ladies room.
The second green laid in 1965 was named the Keith Ruddell Green, after the president at that time. Then in 1982, the Keith Ruddell Green was converted to tiftdwarf which proved so successful that the Jim Smith green was also converted in 1985.
Extensions in 1989 provided the club with a new kitchen and an upgrade in 1995 was completed.
The Samford District Bowls Club (Men) and the Samford Ladies Bowling Club had a combined meeting to discuss the amalgamation of the two clubs. In 1992 the Board of Management was elected comprising members of both clubs. It proved to be an amicable arrangement. The Mens' and Ladies' clubs organise their respective bowls days and the Board of Management handles the finance and general administration of the club.